Thursday 18 October 2012

Review: Thirteen Reasons Why


Thirteen Reasons Why
Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher

My rating: 4 of 5 stars



There really was nothing creepier than receiving a pile of letters, or in this case, audiotapes from a person who committed suicide and somehow blames you why he or she did it.

Logically, I'd say I did nothing wrong and she should blame herself because it was her decision. But why reading it, I tried to put myself into her shoes.

It was like when I read The Perks of Being a Wallflower. I had to remind myself time and time again that I'm putting myself in the shoes of someone younger, someone in a different situation, someone of different culture before I could see how I relate, how I actually fit into their lives.

And it took me less than a day to do that. Quite unlike Perks. But perhaps it was easier because Hannah was full of emotions, was full of inquisitiveness and naivete and somehow I pictured myself quite like her when I was her age.

I don't know American High School, but I knew of it based on what I read and what I heard and what I watched. It wasn't much unlike ours but in a way it was different with ours... and yet I found myself in deep with her story, hooked in with it. Curiosity kept me going, like Clay perhaps. It was different type of curiosity but I'm pretty sure that in the end, I felt what he must have felt



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment